Thursday, September 13, 2007

Reality Vs Perception.


Perhaps you can help me out here.
I have a real problem with a certain, very popular, and (I believe ) over-used, philosophy.
This philosophy can be sum up thusly : "All that matters, is how you see yourself."
Now, I tend to be a real party-pooper. Any of my friends or family will attest to this. I get very upset when I hear what I believe to be shallow or meaningless encouragement. I know now, that 99 times out of 100 things like this are said with the best of intentions. I just get really agitated when I can tell, that people are trying hard to be warm and fuzzy!
Now, I know I am being cranky and petty.
So, since I am a firm believer in constant self-improvement, I am asking for your help. I really want to approach this objectively. So this is what I will do; First, let me state my views, and then I would like y'all to try to explain this load of crap to me.
Okay, Here's my side....
Let's face it, In the grand scheme of things your opinion don't amount to hill of poop.
You can believe all you want that you are a great...whatever...let's say car mechanic.
You may tell yourself you're the best thing since Mr Goodrich himself. And there is a very slim chance that you are, but more than likely you're bellow standard, mediocre at best. Despite the angry customers, the multiple lay-offs, the myriad of excuses you invent, you get up every day, look in the mirror puff out your chest, and say DANG, Hazmatt, you are just the Kittens Crapper!
You see, some of the greatest turning points in my life have been times of painful criticism. Moments when others lifted the veil from my eyes and revealed my flaws. This in turn, allowed me to make the needed changes to better my-self.
Now, before I let you talk, know this;
I know there are times when you need to have a tough skin and learn to ignore the scoffers. I'm thinking mainly of kids attacking each other, and those detractors who you know are truly idiots. So let's not get bogged down with the obvious, lets get right to the meat...
Ok, your turn....

2 Comments:

At September 14, 2007, Blogger Tammie Jean said...

Hmm... I think a healthy self-image is extremely important, because a lack of self-esteem, self-worth, or even basic confidence can breed an entire colony of additional problems. An over-inflated self-view isn't necessarily helpful either, but generally speaking, the arrogant people I've come across in my life are generally over-compensating for poor self-image.

(this comment contains a ridiculous amount of hyphens)

 
At September 14, 2007, Blogger HazMatt said...

I would agree with you about the arrogant people.
As for the hyphens, well, my post contains a ridiculous amount of commas.
Pobody's Nerfect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home