Tuesday, October 17, 2006

But Seriously Folks,




So, what can I tell you about Ghana, Hmm, well, I just don't know where to start. Before I left I was feeling creatively spent. I had nothing to share. I guess if you can think of this blog as our little cosmic conversation, then it was time for listening. Listening to God, others and myself, yes those crazy little voices in my skull. So after much listening and 2 weeks in a foreign country, I'm ready to talk. The only problem is that I now have to much to say. Aaahhhh!!!!
Okay, let's start simple:
"So there I was, waiting to board a plane...."
On Oct. 28th I traveled to the African nation of Ghana with a team of medical Personel. Our objective was to provide free medical and spiritual help to the people of the Lower Volta region. While this region is in fairly close proximity to some major urban areas, it is still quite rural and very poor. My job was "Logistics". This is just a fancy term that means I move boxes, organize the lines of people, make sure the Docs are drinking water, assist the nurses, stuff like that. I was basicaly a hospital manager. Finding criticaly ill paitents was another one of my tasks. Those with high fevers, open wounds, that kind of thing. I am an electrician by trade but I do have some very rudimentary medical training. During their stay in the clinic we took the opportunity to tell the paitents about our faith in Christ. Some of the people were not interested in hearing, they just simply wanted to see a doctor, and that was fine. Any help we can offer, be it physical or spiritual, we were happy to provide. Many however, expressed a genuine interest in our faith and we all did our best to try to explain and answer questions.
Well, that's all for tonight. Tomorrow I will walk you through my typical day in Ghana.

6 Comments:

At October 17, 2006, Blogger losile said...

Awwww. You're my heeeerooo. You also look a little touched in the head in that first picture.

 
At October 18, 2006, Blogger Sara said...

okaaay fine :P Mike can go first :P Nice pics :)

 
At October 18, 2006, Blogger Kiyotoe said...

Man, I thought people like you only existed in episodes of ER. (You remember, when Dr. Carter and Kovac went to Africa to...... forget it).

It sounds kinda crazy because we've only known each other for a few months, cyber months at that, but I feel like I should say that I'm proud of you. Like a friend is proud when another friend accomplishes something.

Keep us updated.

And oh yeah, thanks for having my back on that last Dragon post.

 
At October 18, 2006, Blogger losile said...

Er, you may explode soon, by the way. Just fair warning and apologies in advance, beloved brother whom I love and who loves me!

 
At October 19, 2006, Blogger HazMatt said...

Awwww shucks Guys,
You're all giving me way to much credit. You people would do the same thing if given the chance.
losile, why must I 'splode?
Dragon, you're the best man. My little cyber heart is touched.

 
At October 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hazzie, I so wouldn't do it if I was given the chance. Sounds like kiyotoe has a little bit of a thing for you though. Jealous!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home